Learn to Meditate: A Retreat on the Turquoise coast of Turkey
Join our week’s retreat in Turkey and learn about fundamental, far- reaching and transformative meditation practices. You will be introduced to different forms of meditation and will have the opportunity to join in guided meditation practice.
The retreat will provide an introduction or refresher for those interested in learning about different meditation practices. The retreat gives you the opportunity to share time and inspiration with like-minded people from all walks of life. Many people find that a sense of community develops as the retreat progresses and lasting friendships are born from their experience.
The format for the week includes two guided meditation sessions per day, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon led by your tutor and guide Ann Keely. Ann is foremost a meditator and teacher. She has spent over fifteen years on her non-denominational spiritual journey as a student of Meditation and Spiritual Practice for Living in the World. She will teach and guide you in the theory and practice of meditation.
The meditation practice will take place at the centre for the retreat and also outdoors on location in the area. For example you will take part in a guided meditation at the ancient Lycian ruins at Patara, birth place of St Nicholas and a walking meditation on the deserted golden sands of Patara beach.
You will also have the opportunity to visit spiritual sites during the week including a local mosque.
There will be space and time to relax in the gardens at the retreat centre and around the pool.
Meditation Practice And Topics Include
Meditation and Living in the World
The Ancient Traditions of Meditation
Healing and Witness Meditation
Use of Mantra, Japa, Malas and Rosaries
Introduction to Zen
Accommodation at the Retreat
The retreat centre at Villa Vanilla has a number of very comfortable air conditioned rooms, all en-suite. The centre is set in Mediterranean gardens with olive and citrus trees and views over the Mediterranean. It has a swimming pool and many seating areas including roof terraces where you can relax, meditate and contemplate. .
You will share delicious organic and freshly prepared Turkish and Mediterranean food with like-minded people on the retreat. The emphasis is on locally sourced vegetarian food but there will also be freshly caught fish and locally sourced meat available for those that would like it. Traditional Turkish meals are a real highlight of the holiday. This region is known for the excellence of its local produce which is locally sourced, primarily organic and of a very high standard.
What's Included in The Retreat Holiday
- 7 night’s accommodation in luxury rooms at Villa Vanilla, the Retreat Centre or at a nearby villa of a similar standard. Single rooms on request at a supplement.
- Breakfast on the terrace each morning overlooking the Mediterranean.
- Lunches 5
- Dinners 5
- Full programme of tuition and meditation practice with our tutor and guide Ann Keely.
- One to one session during the week of one hour with Ann Keely our tutor and guide .
- Trips to visit locations in the area including Patara beach, the ancient Lycian and Roman ruins at Patara, a village in the foothills of the Taurus mountains.
- Entrance fees to Patara.
- Transport for trips as specified.
- Flights: the nearest airport is Dalaman.
- Travel Insurance: It is essential for all guests to take out travel insurance for their trip.
- Transfers: from the airport. We will organise transfers for you at cost and where possible will arrange for guests to share transport when arriving at similar times.
- Extras: e.g. drinks, lunch and dinner on the free day, taxis for evenings if required
Learn to Meditate : A Retreat in Turkey
Below is a typical schedule for our Learn to Meditate holiday. The exact itinerary may vary slightly depending on the group’s particular interests and experience and also the weather .
Your tutor and guide Ann Keely is foremost a meditator and teacher. She has spent over fifteen years on her non-denominational spiritual journey as a student of Meditation and Spiritual Practice for Living in the World. She will teach and guide you in the theory and practice of meditation. .
The meditation practice will take place at the centre for the retreat and also outdoors on location in the area. For example you will take part in a guided meditation at the ancient Lycian ruins at Patara, birth place of St Nicholas and a walking meditation on the deserted golden sands of Patara beach.We explore Patara’s Roman ruins (birthplace of Saint Nicholas) and the stunning golden sandy beach.
Typical daily schedule
Breakfast: 8.30 am – 9.30 am
Meditation talk and Practice 10.00 am –12.00 pm
Lunch 1.00 pm – 2.30 pm
Meditation Talk and Practice (some on location in area) 3.00 pm – 5.00 pm
Dinner: 8.00 pm
A Typical Week
Day 1: Arrival Day
We will meet you at Dalaman airport and take you to Villa Vanilla in Kalkan. Depending on flight arrival times we will share a light evening meal.
Day 2: The Inner World and Guided Meditation: Introduction to Meditation
- Living in two worlds – outer world/inner world
- The Four States of Consciousness
- Meditation benefits – physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual
- Guided meditation concentrating on four centres (chakras)
Lunch on the terrace at Villa Vanilla overlooking the Mediterranean
Free time: opportunity to swim/relax
- Guided meditation
- Healing Meditation
- Q & A
Dinner in a local restaurant in Kalkan. (B, L, D)
Day 3: Quieting of the Mind and visit to Ancient Ruins at Patara
Traditions of Mantra, Japa, Malas and Rosaries
- Mantras used in many spiritual traditions
- Japa – repetition of the mantra
- Use of malas/rosaries/prayer beads
- Techniques for balancing the centres
Visit to Ancient Ruins at Patara for Meditation Practice
- Guided meditation – Mantra meditation
Lunch at Patara
Options in use of the mantra
- Mantra meditation
Dinner at Villa Vanilla (B, L, D)
Day 4: Breath Meditation and Mind Culture
Visit to Taurus Mountains and Introduction to Breath Meditation
- The impact of negative thoughts on the mind
- Repeated patterns of negative thoughts
- Practising breath meditation
Lunch in village in Taurus mountains
Breath Meditation continued
- Techniques for challenging negative thoughts
Supper in Villa Vanilla (B, L, D)
Day 5: Free Day:
You can relax around the pool or at the beach or we can arrange a trip for you e.g. a gullet boat trip around the islands with lunch or a morning at a Turkish bath with a massage.
Day 6: Witness and Walking Meditation and Mindfulness
- Witness Meditation
- Attachment and aversion – desires and fears
- The emotional impact of attachments and aversion
- Guided meditation – witness meditation
Lunch (at Villa Vanilla) and Free Time
Walking Meditation Practice at Patara Beach
- Introduction to walking meditation
Dinner in local restaurant (B, L, D)
Day 7: Introduction to Zen
- Zen and the Buddhist tradition of meditationarious disciplines within Buddhist tradition
- Tonglen – a practice of the Dalai Lama
Lunch at Villa Vanilla
- Meditation and living in the world
- Techniques for dealing with the stress of others
- Choice of meditation – choosing the appropriate technique
Visit to local mosque/spiritual place
Dinner in restaurant in Kalkan (B, L, D)
Day 8: Farewell to the Retreat:
After a leisurely breakfast we take you back to Dalaman airport for your flight home or onward journey. If you have a late flight departure relax around the pool or last minute shopping in Kalkan.
Book your retreat today
Check the available dates and prices and secure your holiday now!